The Operations Lead works under the direction of the Partners and Team Leads in charge of FCMP, MAPE, GB, ELM/IP teams and KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT. He /She reports to the Chief Innovation Officer and is responsible for managing the operations of the FCMP, MAPE, GB, ELM/IP Teams and coordinating the firm’s Knowledge initiative. The Operations Lead will have overall responsibility for all the transactions/briefs and effectively direct firm resources in supporting them as required by the relevant Partners and Team Leads
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a database of all transactions/briefs handled by the FCMP, MAPE, GB, ELM/IP teams.
- Tracks all transactions/briefs handled by the FCMP, MAPE, GB, ELM/IP teams and provide status update at defined intervals via a WIP report(quarterly).
- Coordinates the activities of the teams concerned.
- Ensures an effective relationship between Partners and Lawyers.
- Provides a weekly report on all new mandates for the week
- Generates ideas towards the effective and efficient running of the teams.
- Acquires extensive knowledge of all teams’ transactions.
- Serves as the first point of contact for all transactions, develops an automation plan and further deploys appropriate internal and external resources to the execution of such transactions.
- Ensures the continuous scanning and proper filing of all documents that are received.
- Coordinates the issuance of thought leadership materials and marketing documents.
Departmental Management support Responsibilities:
- Supports the teams in achieving its budget goals and adhere to approved budgets including keeping track of Client billings and recovery of expenses.
- Coordinates and ensures matters are promptly opened on Imanage and ensures compliance with Knowledge Management rules on storage.
- Provides direct support to Partners on scheduling meetings, travels, and other related Partner administrative tasks across Teams.
- Monitors all invoices and status of payment due to the Practices.
- Plans, manages, organizes, and coordinates the operations for the Practice.
- Assists in establishing firm-wide best practices for the Teams
- Generates weekly report on time charged on all transactions.
- Coordinates training for the members of the teams on Firm automation tools.
- Routinely recommend steps to meet or exceed Team’ goals.
- Tracks time charged and expenses incurred on each transaction and reports on profitability and non-compliance.
- Liaises with Accounts department towards ensuring invoices are sent out as and when due.
- Keeps abreast of current technologies, strategies and solutions relating to support automation.
- Performs other tasks as requested by the Team Leads and Partners.
Expected Skills and Competencies
Education: Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Information Technology or preferably Law (will be an added advantage).
Work Experience: Minimum of seven (7) years cognate work experience in a Management position or related support in a Law firm environment.
Thorough working knowledge of computer software including word processing spreadsheet, document management, e-mail and database programmes.
Extensive computer and database expertise including Matter Management Systems, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Proficiency in legal research including Lexis, Westlaw, Internet services and other library material.
Knowledge of litigation process.
Personal Attributes & Physical Demands
- Poise and professionalism, including the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player adept at collaborating effectively with colleagues in non-legal roles (accounting, tax, human resources and risk management).
- Highly organized with ability to juggle multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.